Welcome to the Preschool Home Page!
It is hard to believe that this is our last week of preschool. Mrs. Plenys, Ms. Senese and I want you to know that it has been a pleasure working with your children this year and watching them grow and learn. They have come a long way since the beginning of the school year!
A special thank you to all the parents who chaperoned the Brookfield Zoo field trip. We appreciate your help very much.
Our tip sheet for this week is from the Illinois State Board of Education Tip Sheets www.illinoisearlylearning.com and it is called Starting Kindergarten? Help Make It a Good Experience! There is a link below.
Theme: This week we will read the books: Hooray for Pre-K, Kindergarten Here We Come, and Before and Now. We will recall some of things we couldn’t do in the beginning of the year that we can do now. We will look at pictures from the beginning of the year until now to recall all the fun we had together. We will celebrate all of our classmates summer birthdays that do not fall during the regular school year on Thursday, May 31st with a special treat. Thursday is our official last day of Preschool. We will have our Preschool Celebration on Friday, June 1st. Please have your child practice the words to You’re a Grand Old Flag. The words to the songs were sent home last Thursday.
Religion / Social Emotional Development: This Wednesday we will “Clap Out the 8th Graders” on their last day of school at St. Leonard. At the end of the school day all of the grades line up and clap for the 8th graders as they walk through the line at the end of the school day. Please wait until this event has finished before taking your preschool child home on Wednesday. You are welcome to clap with us as we send off our 8th Graders to High School.
Language Arts / Letter of the Week: The children will play alphabet BINGO, build alphabet puzzles and play a variety of alphabet games on the Smart Board. The children have been working on the letters A – Z all year and have finally completed their end of the year alphabet books. I hope you enjoy looking through them. The May Reading Logs are due back to school on May 30th. Please continue to read all summer long and join the summer reading program at your local library. Visit the PBS Reading Rockets website at www.readingrockets.org for several articles, videos, and tons of information on reading and writing with young children.
Math / Cognitive Development: In math, we will identify positions of items and use positional words to describe locations of objects (on, in, above, behind, under, next to, and between). We will play Number Bingo on abcya.com.
Science / Social Sudies: In Social Studies we will do a Scholastic magazine called I Love You Because … The children will watch a video clip called: Thanks for Taking Care of Me. The children will learn the many ways the adults in their life take care of them. We will play an online game called Caring Concentration. We will visit the Kindergarten classroom in the “Big School.” We will talk about saying goodbye to our classmates.
- Link to pictures coming soon
Developmental Tip Sheets
- Please Don’t Go! Separation Anxiety and Children
- Sensible Consequences
- Making and Keeping Friends
- Eyes Right! Your Child’s Vision
- Things to Do While You’re Waiting: Science
- Feelings Are Fantastic
- Help Siblings Get Along
- Work and Play Together
- Fire Safety Tips
- Halloween Health and Safety Tips
- What Is Developmental Screening?
- Natural Illinois: Leaves Are All Around
- Manners and Preschoolers
- Making the Holidays Memorable and Meaningful
- What Makes a Good Toy
- Discover Shapes in Many Places
- Why Reading to Children Is Important
- Emergent Readers: Look! That’s My Letter!
- Developing Writing and Spelling At Home
- Helping Children Learn to Get Along
- Counting Up, Down,and All Around
- Kids Who Care
- Say Yes to the Mess! Snow Time
- Eating RIght = Healthy Children
- Fun at Home With Preschoolers – Lets Measure!
- Learning by Listening to Language
- Bullying Hurts Everyone
- Making Sense of Numbers
- Sorting, Classifying, and Organizing
- Encouraging Scientific Thinking: Rain or Shine
- Toys from Throwaways: Let’s Recycle
- Natural Illinois: Butterflies and Moths
- Natural Illinois: Insects
- Getting Ready for Kindergarten
- Starting Kindergarten? Help Make It a Good Experience!
Ms. Young, Preschool Teacher
School Office 708-749-3666