Welcome to the Preschool Home Page!
A special thank you to all the parents who chaperoned the Brookfield Zoo field trip. We appreciate your help very much.
It is hard to believe that this is our last week of preschool. Mrs. Plenys and I want you to know that it has been a pleasure working with your children this year and watching them grow and learn. They have come a long way since the beginning of the school year!
Our tip sheet for this week is from www.icanteachmychild.com and it is called Preparing Your Child for Kindergarten. There is a link below.
Theme: This week we will read the books: Hooray for Pre-K, Kindergarten Here We Come, and Before and Now. We will recall some of things we couldn’t do in the beginning of the year that we can do now. We will look at pictures from the beginning of the year until now to recall all the fun we had together. We will celebrate all of our classmates summer birthdays that do not fall during the regular school year on Thursday, June 1st with a special treat. Thursday is our official last day of Preschool. We will have our Preschool Celebration on Friday, June 2nd. Please have your child practice the words to our two songs: He’s Got the Whole World in His Hands and Mr. Sun. The words to the songs were sent home last week.
Religion \ Social Emotional Development: This Wednesday will be the school Farewell Mass for Father Roger. We will wish him well at his new Parish, St. Mary Star of the Sea in Chicago. This Wednesday we will “Clap Out the 8th Graders” on their last day of school at St. Leonard. At the end of the school day all of the grades line up and clap for the 8th graders as they walk through the line at the end of the school day. Please wait until this event has finished before taking your preschool child home on Wednesday. You are welcome to clap with us as we send off our 8th Grade Buddies to High School.
Language Arts / Letter of the Week: The children will play alphabet BINGO, build alphabet puzzles and play a variety of alphabet games on the Smart Board. The children have been working on the letters A – Z all year and have finally completed their end of the year alphabet books. I hope you enjoy looking through them. The May Reading Logs are due back to school today. Please continue to read all summer long and join the summer reading program at your local library. Visit the Reading Rockets website at www.readingrockets.org for several articles on reading and writing with young children.
Math / Cognitive Development: For math, we will count to 100 with the song “Zero the Hero” while doing 100 exercises. We will also skip count by 10’s to 100 and build number puzzles.
Science / Social Sudies: In Science we will observe a variety of sea shells and starfish with magnifying glasses. We will talk about the beach and ocean and read the book At the Beach. In Social Studies we will do a Scholastic magazine called Time to Say Goodbye! The children will watch a video clip called: All Kinds of Feelings. The children will learn how to identify a variety of emotions. We will talk about saying goodbye to our classmates. We will play an online game called Faces Show Feelings.
- Fun at School
- Playing and Learning Everyday
- Firehouse Field Trip
- Pumpkin Fun and Other Pictures
- Pumpkin Farm Field Trip
- Christmas Time
- I Like School
- 100s Day
- St Pat and Valentines Day and Other Stuff
- Science – Worms
- Easter and Other Things
- Earth Day
Developmental Tip Sheets
- Please Don’t Go! Separation Anxiety and Children
- Sensible Consequences
- Making and Keeping Friends
- Helping Children Develop “Impulse Control”
- Too Sick to Go to Child Care
- Helping Siblings Get Along
- Children and Home Fires
- The Gift of Words: Conversations and Routines
- Sharing Books With Your Preschooler
- Natural Illinois: Leaves All Around Us
- Neighborhood Geography with Young Children
- Manners and Preschoolers
- Making the Holidays Memorable and Meaningful
- What Makes A Good Toy
- Reading TIps for Parents of Preschoolers
- Growing readers!
- Eyes Right! Your Child’s Vision
- The Power of the Pen: Drawing and Scribbling
- Counting Up, Down, and All Around
- Feelings are Fantastic
- Kite Breathing
- Read and Write Together
- The Gift of Words: Reading and Games
- Fun at Home with Preschoolers: Let’s Measure!
- Make Room for Blocks!
- Investigate Together
- Natural Illinois: Butterflies and Moths
- Toys from Throwaways: Let’s Recycle
- Natural Illinois: Insects
- Getting Ready for Kindergarten
- Action Steps for Sun Protection
- Preparing Your Child for Kindergarten
Ms. Young, Preschool Teacher
School Office 708-749-3666